Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What Does the Lord Require of You?

What does the Lord require of you?  In Micah 6:8 " He has showed you, O man, what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God"

Looking at this scripture, there are 3 things the Lord requires:
  1. Act Justly
  2. Love Mercy
  3. Walk Humbly
As I looked at this scripture, I decided to look at the definitions of each word to hopefully help me determine what the Lord wants from me.  Below are the definitions of these words:  

Act is the process of doing (action word)
Justly  means honorable and fair in ones' dealings and actions.  Consistent with what is morally right.

Love is expression of one's affection, feeling of intense desire
Mercy is to be kind and forgiving - compassionate treatment

Walk is to conduct oneself or behave in a particular manner
Humbly is to be meek or modest in spirit.  Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude or spirit; not arrogant or prideful


So as we look at the definitions and dissect what the Lord requires of us, we find that He wants us to:

1.  ACT JUSTLY
Be actively consistent in doing what is morally right.

2.  LOVE MERCY
Have an intense desire to show kindness and be forgiving.

3.  WALK HUMBLY
Behave or conduct oneself in modest spirit with meekness. 

May we ask ourselves this question every day when we make all our decisions.  What does the Lord require of me in this situation?  Can I "act justly" if I do this?  Am I showing love and mercy to those around me?  Especially those that hurt me.  Will this decision help me to walk humbly before the Lord or is this decision based on my pride or my self desires? 

May the Lord help us to be ever mindful everyday of this question.  What does the Lord require of me?  May we daily walk humbly before Him and show kindness and forgiveness.

1 comment:

  1. this was so good, thanks.. when we really HUMBLE ourselves I find this experience to be so real.. i use to have a hard time with forgiveness but it is easier when i humble myself...Being Humble has been the eye opener for me....Thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete