Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Lord Watches Over You


The Lord Watches Over You

 
 
Psalms 121: 5-8
The Lord watches over you.  The Lord is your shade at your right hand.  The Lord will keep you from all harm, he will watch over your ife.  The Lord will watch over your coming and going both NOW and forevermore. 
 
When I read these verses I had such a sense of peace knowing the Lord is watching over me.  Of course, being analytical, I always look up the definitions of words to try to glean more understanding of God's precious words.
 
In the dictionary, I looked up the following definitions:
 
WATCHES- is to look attentively; observe, to remain vigilant as for protection or safekeeping
 
OVER - above in place or position; above in authority and power
 
RIGHT HAND - a position of honor or special trust; one's most valuable supporter
 
Wow!! What beautiful words!!  The Lord looks attentively on me and remains vigilant for my protection and safekeeping.  The Lord watches OVER me: above me in authority and in power.
 
The Lord is my shade at my right hand!!  He holds a special position of honor and special trust when he is on our right hand. He is my most valuable supporter.
 
As I began to read the words Right Hand... I wondered what the significance was of the "right hand".  Searching the bible, there are 137 verses mentioning right hand. 
 
Many times in the Bible, the mention of the right hand was shown as God showing his majesty and His power.  See Exodus 15:6
Also see:  Psalm 16:8, Psalm 17:7, Psalm 18:35, Psalm 60:5, Psalm 89:13, Psalm 80:17, Psalm 109:31
 
The Lord not only watches over me, He watches over my entire life.  He watches over my coming and going.  He watches over me NOW and forevermore. 
 
If the Lord has determined it important to watch OVER me for my entire life and He cares me and loves me enough to watch over me with authority and Power.... what shall I fear?  Why should I worry?  The one that watches over me is watching me for my protection and safekeeping.
 
It reminds me of a story when Joshua was just born and I was home alone at night.  I heard a noise at the window in Joshua's room. I was afraid because it sounded like someone was trying to get inside the house through the window.  I remember being afraid but then my fear turned into determination that no one was going to come into my house and harm my baby!!  I went to the bedroom and got a gun for protection so I could protect my child from harm. At that moment, I was determined to protect my child at all costs.  Let it be known... that a mother will do anything to protect her children!! 
 
This protective desire to protect my child no matter what the cost was so strong that I would have fought as long as necessary to protect my child.  Isn't it great to know that our Lord watches over us to protect us and will do all in His power to protect and keep us safe.   
 
Not only does He watch over us to protect us, He is doing it NOW and will do it FOREVERMORE.  How exciting to know the Lord loves me enough to take care of me now and for eternity. 
 
May we feel His presence and know that He is on our right side watching over us.   He is our most valuable supporter as He watches over our comings and goings.  Let us examine our comings and goings to make sure they are in alignment with what the Lord desires for us. 
 
Thank you Lord for continually watching over us.  For continually protecting us and keeping us safe.  Thank you for your power and majesty over all things in our lives.  May we learn to trust you more and lean on you as the Great Protector in our lives.  May we recognize your presence in our lives and that you care for us deeply.  We are never out of your sight.  Thank you for this precious promise of truth. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment